The cats of Africa include:
- Caracal—The caracal is also known as the 'desert lynx' has a unique ability to spring up into the air and swat birds with its paw. It grows to lengts of about 23-26in with a tail of lenghts 9-12in.
- Serval—The serval has a long neck, long legs, and a lean body. It resembles a smaller version of a cheetah.
- Cheetah—The cheetah is a unique cat and is known for its speed, holding the respectable title of the fastest animal on land.
- Leopard—The leopard is a large spotted cat (with rosettes of black markings) that is found in Africa as well as parts of southern Asia.
- Lion—The lion is the only cat to form prides or groups of related adults and their offspring. Lions are tawny in color. They are sexually dimorphic; males have a thick shaggy mane of hair framing their face (females do not).