The dusky dolphin inhabits cool waters ranging in temperature between 50 and 64 degrees F. It prefers waters that are less than 650 feet deep. Though locally common, it faces the threats of fishing bycatch and direct hunting as a human food source. Dusky dolphins often form groups of 6 to 15 individuals. They also are known to form feeding aggregations of several hundred individuals.
- Mass: 100 kg
- Body Length: 1.8 to 2 m
- Diet: anchovy, squid, and schooling shrimps
- Breeding Season: spring
- Gestation Period: 11 months (average)
- Time to Weaning: 18 months (average)
- Number of Offspring: 1
Where to See:
- Burnie D, Wilson DE. 2001. Animal. London: Dorling Kindersley. 624 p.
- Ballenger L, Lindsley T. 2003. Lagenorhynchus obscurus, Animal Diversity Web. May 25, 2004.