If you're interested in reading the text of the ESA, you can download a PDF version of the US Endangered Species Act from the US Fish & Wildlife Service website. Some significant sections of the act include:
- Section 4 - Listing of species, designation of critical habitat.
- Section 6 - Providing of financial support to States to support conservation of endangered species.
- Section 7 - Requires all Federal agencies to ensure they do not further endanger any listed species or critical habitat.
- Section 8 - Outlines international coordination of conservation efforts.
- Section 9 - Defines prohibited actions.
- Section10 - Sets out guidelines for permits to circumvent prohibited activities.